Tuesday 11 December 2018

The Non-League Merry-Go-Round





          It's that time of year. The Non-League-Merry-Go-Round has begun. I'm sure it affects all levels of Non League football, but I'm going to Focus on the League's I know of. That being the North East Counties League and the East Midlands Counties League.
Image result for ollerton town
The home of my club, Ollerton Town.
          In Non-League football there is five things you can bet on, poor referees, bad weather, goal fests, ridiculous interviews (Let's not mention what I started doing on Ollerton's twitter feed), and someone making a move for an extra £5er... It happens all the time, there's clubs in these leagues that have a huge budget, they pick on clubs that haven't got a budget.
          I presume it'd be rude to name the clubs, but a story I was told by a representative of another club who I bumped into told me how another club had put seven days (the term used to approach a player in non-league) in for the their club captain. The story gets better, the manager of the approaching club called the other manager to say he'd put the seven days in for the wrong player and asked if he'd waive the seven days for the player he actually wanted. The cheek!
          Elsewhere, two other well known strikers in the area are on their third and fourth clubs respectively of the season, to my memory, I can't recall the last time either of them finished the season at the club they started it at. But this happens everywhere. I spoke to one player on Saturday about a certain set of players who will go anywhere if the money is right, that's an entire team by the way, then always go back to the same club when they aren't having a tenner waved under their noses.
          I fully understand that the problem of money chasing is to do with the current climate, if someone offers you £50 a week to do something that you'd do for free, it's a no brainer. £50 a week, or £200 a month is car finance to someone, so why not? I appreciate that's hard to turn down, but jumping from that to the next club for another £5 is mental.
Image result for audi a3
The kind of car you could afford just from £50pw playing football.
          I'd love to say that my club could afford to take part in this, I'm told by a player that he was approached by Ollerton, but when another rival club said they'd match what he was getting at his old club he's decided to go there. That's the way of things though, we'd be just as bad as the rest if we could pay wouldn't we?

Anyway,

Until next time....

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nothing Changes, Just The Names And The Faces (Part Three)

          Here we are again. A familiar situation to Forest fans who, since I've been watching Forest have been under new management...