Monday 6 November 2017

A Two Game Week


The National Disappointment

I am aware that I have said I was going to talk about non-league football, as well as passing comment on the Premier League as and when I please, but seeing as another international break is on the horizon, and Ollerton have a two game week, I'll probably post about that at a later date. So in this post I'm going to write about the national disappointment, or the English National team. I might even mention tea, in-keeping with the name of this blog.

Following Euro 2016, I was one of many bemoaning Roy Hodgson and was thrilled when he handed in his resignation. Allardyce dropped a bollock and Southgate so far has been unremarkable. With this summer seeing yet another tournament that we can be extremely underwhelming in how can we turn this around? Let me break it down.

Firstly, in a major competition the aim is essentially to outscore the opposition, so for England to do that they need to play with more than one striker. In an ideal world I would have England playing in either a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2.
 
I yearn for the simpler times when you knew England would be playing with two strikers. It was a tried and tested formation that the English were good at. Why would we change it? For me 4-4-2 is the solid dependable choice, however more recently 3-5-2 has become more common in the Premier League, making it more likely to have a positive effect on the national side.

For me, I think England want to be playing one of the two formations/sides below.

Joe Hart is past it in my opinion, however will still make a dependable backup goalkeeper. Kyle Walker is England's best right back, but he and Clyne are arguably interchangeable. We are blessed with three good left backs in Rose, Shaw and Bertrand. I can't argue either of them is worse than the other when on top form, but Luke Shaw desperately needs minutes. Centre backs are an odd one at the minute for England. They're all amazingly average, John Stones is showing potential and will hopefully be our main man for years to come. In midfield we only need one defensive minded player. Dier is the best at that for England so he's obviously got to be the main man. Attacking midfielders don't come much better than Dele Alli at the minute and when fit Adam Lallana can be just as good. I am one of Raheem Sterling's biggest critics. I don't think he does enough in an England shirt to justify his place. But on current form he cannot be left out. Playing him as a wing back could be risky, but with Dier sitting deep in that shape and the extra centre back able to drift across he can be covered. Strikers, Harry Kane, what more can be said? One of footballs most in form players is guaranteed a spot and Rashford on the wing is a waste, play him in his natural role or don't bother playing him at all. Honourable mention to Harry Winks who could make an impact at the World Cup this summer. His performance against Real Madrid against some of the World's best players, was exemplary.

All that being said, I am prepared for another disappointing summer for the national side and I would expect nothing else.

Until I find something else to write about, tarrah.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nothing Changes, Just The Names And The Faces (Part Three)

          Here we are again. A familiar situation to Forest fans who, since I've been watching Forest have been under new management...